- Commentary on sea otters and dirty oceans
- What's Happening with Sea Otters?
Recently, the Sea Otter Project/Environmental Defense Center sued the US Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) over the management of sea otters in Southern California. The California Sea Urchin Commission has formally asked for intervener status in this case. Please click on the links below to read the relevant legal documents in the case. The documents are listed in chronological order.
Original complaint by the Sea Otter Project and the Environmental Defense Center
Once the plaintiffs (the Sea Otter Project/Environmental Defense Center) sued, the California Sea Urchin Commission and a few allies asked for intervener status, with the following notices, answers, and declarations:
- Shortly after the plaintiffs sued, the US Department of Justice (DOJ) requested that the court dismiss the case. The plaintiffs then issued an amended complaint, as well as a partial opposition to the Commission's intervention.
- The DOJ responded, as did the Commission.
- The federal court granted the Commission's Motion to Intervene - the Commission is now officially in the lawsuit.
A Court approved settlement agreement has been reached in the lawsuit that will be beneficial to both otters and abalone. This press release provides more information.
- News of the settlement and op-eds based on the press release have been published in these print publications:
Ventura County Star - Dec. 1, 2010
Greenwire - Dec. 3, 2010 (requires registration)
Salinas Califorinian - Dec. 6, 2010 (link removed)
Ventura County Star - Dec. 17, 2010
Salinas Californian - Dec. 21, 2010
California Progress Report - Dec. 23, 2010
Santa Barbara Press-News - Dec. 26, 2010
Pasadena Star-News - Dec. 27, 2010
Whittier Daily News - Dec. 27, 2010
San Gabriel Valley Tribune: Dec. 27, 2010
Santa Cruz Sentinel: Jan. 2, 2011
YubaNet.com - Dec. 2, 2010
Sonoma County Abalone Network - Dec. 5 & 20, 2010
Central Coast Tea Party - Dec. 16, 2010
KNX-AM 1070 - Los Angeles - In-person Interview: Dec. 8, 2010
KVTA-AM 1520 - Ventura - Taped interview of Vern Goehring: Jan. 16, 2011